Wednesday, October 19, 2016

When you embark on any journey, you think you have an idea of how things will go. We often plan the landmarks and route.  We want things to be tidy, ordered and when we want them.  Life and travel rarely roll this way.

We had no idea what we were getting into, both in our wedding vows or our expedition across Canada. We had maps for both, but adjusted as necessary. We stopped more frequently for hot water and bathroom breaks...we adjusted to each other's sleep and eating habits. There were times I felt completely spent and I am more certain he did as well. Sick babies, four little ones, endless driving and juggling, pressing on pass Portage La Prairie for 3 more hours onto Lester Beach...pushing on to Sudbury hungry, thirsty and depleted, agonizing over big decisions that threatened the life of our youngest, empty nest for almost a week and back to a fuller house...

We had no idea what we were getting into...but I wouldn't change a thing - and I would not want to have known, for fear and over-planning might have weakened the muscles I built at staying the course when things were hard...I might have carried too much equipment and tired sooner, or I might have opted not to start.

Marriage parallels a journey...or in our case, a Canadian Epic Adventure, 'eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment