Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rolling with friends..

Our friends were brave enough to ride their rented scooters with us through Vancouver today. I felt like the parent, riding behind, praying for their safety as I saw wobbles, feet down at corners and a few near misses within moments of leaving Quebec Street. I remember reiterating to "look where you want to go"...as emphatically as I could. I told her..don't look at the curb or other cars...look and your bike will follow. Less than 10 minutes in and we round a sharp corner at Nanaimo and McGill and I see her narrowly miss the cement abutment and head straight for the curb on the other side of the road...It would have been instant calamity if any other vehicle was nearby. My heart was in my throat beating loudly - reminding me we are alive and safe. I was pulled over, amazed that such a busy corner was clear... She bravely carried on...perhaps out of naivete. At the next corner she slowed..a slight wobble - right foot trying to skate...but she was fine. The ride was awesome...through Gastown, Stanley Park, Granville Island... I felt like the big sister - making sure no one would hurt her. I would ride up beside cars that might not hear or see her...I made sure to dominate lanes and give her room to move over when we needed to change. The man lead and I lagged...a reflection of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment