Sunday, January 20, 2013

tiptoes

If you know me, you know that I lack in the vertical department. I stretch to make 155 centimeters. The problem is I am one of those people who likes to be grounded. Grounding for me means both feet planted firmly. I feel a sense of unease when I am groping in a chasm for solid footing. Thus, riding Andrew's Suzuki just reaching the tar by tiptoes, was the source of my anxiety. The first five minutes I was convinced it was impossible. Completely out of my comfort zone. The clutch and brakes were more responsive than my dog at the sound of his leash. I was paranoid of braking and flipping over the bars. I was fearful I would be on a hill and not able to put my feet down. Fortunately, a hill in Melbourne is rare. This allayed my nerves a little. Next was the worry of the tram tracks....the trams...the hook turns and round-abouts that turn left, and to which aussies seem the have different protocol than us. The arguments against me riding were growing...and yet I earnestly want to ride....I just could not quell the fear of tiptoes. The groundednesss I seek, is also the reason I was able to get on the bike in the first place. The logic that I know how to ride, understand the dynamics and gravity of riding through curves, clutching and motion assuaged and overrode the cons. To miss the wind in my face, the open sky and adrenalin of the ride bolstered my courage and my resolve to master my fear and his bike. Tiptoes are not so bad. They stretch you, sometimes to see things obstructed by both feet planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment