Saturday, September 1, 2012

distractions

Today...as I am riding I am working on a seed that is lodged in my upper left tooth. I had been eating succulent blackberries, the loveliest of fruit that grow wild in the Pacific Northwest. And yet, this tiniest of seed has been a distraction for me all the way home. My tongue is trying ever so hard to push and cajole the seed to no avail. All I am thinking about is this seed... Isn't this the truth...I have 31 other seedless teeth and yet this is the one that compels my tongue to it? I am riding and should be enjoying the wind in my face, and yet I cannot help but fixate on this seed. Quite the lesson. The seed is embedded and perhaps has no idea the peril it has caused much like the comments of derision people freely expel. The seed is all I think about at this moment - the focus of everything. Isn't that the way? The smallest thing can upset everything...change everything in a moment...a word, an action, a seed. We become fixated on what it has done to us... I could forget about the annoyance, have it fester..but those that know me well, know my intolerance for this. My goal is to expel the seeds in my life. I forget the vexation in moments...carving corners, passing cars....but it is not enough to erase the sensation of the lodging between my teeth. I am so grateful for floss...Flossing every day will save so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment