Saturday, October 2, 2010

I feigned enthusiasm at the map again. Though we have traveled these roads, I have little opinion when he is the driver. The route was planned, the quinoa salad packed and we were on our way. The line ups at Peace Arch and Aldergrove pushed us further east, and changed our course and roads. Some were familiar. Some farms just stick in your memory. There were new paths, new bridges and a diversion through the Old Mountain Loop of which part is a packed dirt road. That was Ken's highlight...not for the speed but for the beauty and uniqueness. The trail was sheltered by old trees from which the sun would burst through every few seconds giving the effect of an old movie reel just about to end. Dark to light over and over. Clearings were dotted with trucks and cars - fly fishermen and reelers standing in the river or on the rocks. I saw a little boy's reward for a catch - his dad and brother exuded pride and elation. I couldn't hear them over the din of water cascading over rocks - communication is not words alone - it is the smiles, recognition, enthusiasm....it was head held high, acknowledgment and the bustle to admire the catch. It made me smile too.

We chose a place to picnic just past the dirt road. Again, Ken has the ability to find the most amazing spot that fills the needs for the moment. This was by the river in a clearing, sun blaring through. Idyllic. We enjoyed the quinoa and Tecate as our skin was toasting. He is back consulting the map..."We could divert here" - he shows me with such enthusiasm I cannot quell. This trip, I dare say, I was focused on keeping headphones in, less than on the verdant surroundings. Such distractions and I become tetchy and bemused. It is hard to believe that one's focus can be so fleeting when all is not right. I didn't notice many a road, nor bucolic settings, though I know we traveled them. I was relieved the dirt road was smooth, and although momentarily there were thoughts of skids, I had no scars or jarring to effect the outcome.

North west Washington has so many amazing rides. Diversions are frequent to satisfy both rider and passenger. Lakes, creeks, craggy mountains and ridges, twists and turns to amuse and soothe.....I expect it was the last ride of the season and I will have to relive the rides for the next few months.....

No comments:

Post a Comment