Sunday, October 4, 2009

Now Really Solo Riding

Okay, Sunday, October 4th - the sun is shining and it isn't cold. Not like on the Duffy Lake Road yesterday. Ken left for band practice and I was itching....and I mean itching to ride again. I had ridden a little in the early morning...when it was cold. But now it was warm and my bike was there. Hmmm. Fear almost stopped me. It tried to. I had never taken the bike up the driveway before. A few of you know our driveway and might understand my trepidation. Courage took over and I was up and out before you know it. And this really was my first ride without someone else with me. I took off down Scott Road and next I was on No. 10 Hwy and heading to Ladner. It felt great. The sun was warm and I felt confident but not cocky. I still have to think when something unusual happens. It isn't second nature to remember what gear I am in but the more I ride the more it is coming to me. I take Hwy 17 and head to River Road. Riding along I wondered why I hadn't got my license earlier. What took me so long! And then I remembered that I had been pregnant for decades (well, it seemed that way)...and then caring for my four babies....and then....oh right, when would I have had the time? I never realized the freedom that I would feel though. Just doing it by myself. I headed home somewhat reluctantly and then got there and asked myself what I had to get home for. I had only been gone two hours....and so I indulged myself and left again, this time retracing our early morning route. I had really enjoyed it but wanted to have the feeling of not having to think when I rode it. Down 125A a windy hill to farmlands and Colebrook Road. A great flat rode with a few jogs, a few train tracks and the sun at my back. It was great. At the end of it I turned around and went back the same route..this time sweeping up the hill. It felt great. Okay...If you know me you will understand that then I decided to do it again but lest I run into the same people still walking their dogs wondering if I was waiting for a drug drop or something, I ventured up to No. 10 Hwy and came off King George to enter. Back along the road...sun in my face but not yet too annoying on the eyes and up the hill again. It felt great....even though I had to slow down for a car making a u-turn. I was in control and knew what to do. So I headed home, glad for the adventure and that much more confident for the next ride. Darn....it is October and I am just beginning to have a lot of fun at this. Until next ride......

No comments:

Post a Comment